Tuesday, August 7, 2012

signed our lives away....

Untitled


joined a gym. 

that's right. we joined up at gold's to work on our fitness. i am so stoked. we have both been wanting to join up at gold's for a while, but kept putting it off...we finally bit the bullet when we got a card in the mail with a coupon to join for $1. how could we refuse? dave went on his day off to check out the gym and to talk to them about joining. he called me later and told me about all of the amenities and the packages they offered. 

when i got off work, we headed up there to find out if we really wanted to join. i was ready to wheel and deal (i wasn't sure they would let us both sign up for a buck with just one coupon) but they were eager to have our business. we signed up almost immediately. we walked around and checked out the gym and i was really starting to get excited. 

we were signed up to meet with a personal trainer the next week to find out what our fitness goals were and where we needed/wanted to be. 

i have been wanting to join a gym not only to enhance my derby, but to lose a bit of weight. before we got married, and when i hit my mid twenties, i packed on a few pounds. i had also added beer to my diet and stopped being so active, so i know all of these things were factors in my weight gain. 

we met with a personal trainer last night. she went over our diets, sleep habits, personal goals and also did a skin fold test on us to determine our body fat percentage. i was pleasantly surprised when she told me that i was at 25% body fat. (average) WOW! here i thought that i was 'overweight'.... now i feel bad for all of the times i called myself fat. while i am not where i want to be physically, this makes me see that just changing my eating habits and working out more will help me attain the body i had 2 years ago, when i weighed 130 and was 5' 6" and didn't drink beer. (only liquor)




we also talked about diet. i told her that i was counting calories. i have been using myfitnesspal.com (find me here)and the iPhone app off and on for about a year now. she told me it was great that i was tracking my calories. i think i am going to be more strict about using it for now on. we talked about what is good for me to eat and when to eat it. we decided that my biggest meals should be either breakfast or lunch. (this makes sense anyways because then i will have longer to burn off the calories.) lately, i have been eating a lot of baked chicken breasts seasoned naturally with lemon pepper and lemon juice. SOGOOD. i either pair it with a salad and ranch, or steamed mixed veggies. i do put sea salt on my veggies, but not too much.

we also talked about how i should work out. i told her what i had been doing since joining and she said that everything i was doing was fine, she would just change the order and she suggested that i change over to the free weights. she told me that the first 20 mins of working out, you burn off your food. then you go to burn off fat...she also told me that the best fat burning/calorie burning machine they had was the elliptical. i am so glad because that is my favorite thing to use there. it's so easy to zone out and just get shit done.

my typical work-out routine will be this for the first month or so:

warm up:
stretch legs, back, arms and neck
10 mins on incumbent stationary

weight training:
3 reps of 10 ea.

shoulder press machine
inclined bench press machine
seated bicep curl machine
leg curl machine
hip abductor machine (inner and outer)
seated leg press machine
free weight squats
free weight arm curls

cardio
elliptical interval training (probably a full hour)
cool-down jog on the treadmill (10 mins or one mile)

i am going to try to switch it up as much as possible to keep my muscles on their toes. i'm also not going to stop doing my p90x...i just won't do it every day, of course, but i want to keep my muscles confused. i will of course, still attending derby practice 2-3 times a week. the cool thing about derby is we do burn about 1300 calories on average at a really good, intense practice. (i confirmed this with the trainer) i am committing myself to go to the gym any day that i do not have roller derby practice. i will have one rest day. if i am not going to the gym, i am wasting my money. (this is a great incentive.)

i thought when i joined roller derby, i would automatically start to lose weight. ha! was i wrong. not only did a gain a little (muscle gain) i didn't even begin to lose any... my hips got bigger for sure. (i'm only half complaining about that) i definitely became more serious about my derby once i landed on a home team. now i am also on our B travel team, so i knew i really had to step-up my off-skates work outs. 

if i want to be the ultimate derby player that i can be, i need to cross-train more. i am finally realizing this. i am so excited to start living more healthily. i am ready to see results, but i know that i may not see weight gone, but instead inches. i am OK with that.


**i am writing about my fitness plans and goals on here to keep myself accountable. it's public and everyone can see it. i feel this will make me exercise more and i will reach my goals. plus, it will be a great way to track my progress, no?**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly