Monday, May 16, 2011

fresh meat practice: first month re-cap

i have been going to fm practice for about a month now. i have to say, i am way more comfortable with several things than i was when i first started. last month, i would have said that i was a medium skill skater.. meaning, i could skate, stop etc. now, i can do so much more. crossovers, t-stops, almost suicide stops. it's great. i am learning so much. i wouldn't say i am more than a medium now, but i am definitely a stronger skater all around.  i can feel my body getting stronger and i skate harder for longer. i am loving it! i want to get better every practice. i want to learn a new thing at every practice. the other day, dave and i took muttley to  the park. i wanted to get some outdoor skating in. dave was trying to get me to go down all of these steep hills and stuff. i finally did it and thought i was going to die! i had no idea how to stop. my snow plows weren't cutting it. i ended up sliding into the grass on my kneepads. i know that if i had taken the turn that was at the bottom of the hill, i would have hurt/killed myself on the concrete. i got back up after pouting a bit, since dave was the one who dared me to do it. (he is a veteran skate boarder) i tried not to let it get to me that i didn't know how to turn that fast or stop going that fast on concrete and i ended up skating a good 2 miles that evening. it felt great. when i got home, i found all kinds of grass and leaves in my shorts from my 'graceful' fall. haha. i like skating outside because it helps build endurance, but i'd rather be on a hardwood floor inside a skating rink. as i was saying... practices have been going great. i look forward to them every week. it's a great outlet and gets me the exercise i need. i looked it up and i burn roughly 1200 calories in each practice! i LOVE derby!! ♥♥♥♥  last night, we had a really good practice. the veteran skater that ran it always pushes us extra hard. i hate it at the time, but after practice, i feel so great. it's always worth the extra sweat and pain. we scrimmaged at the end of practice and i was jamming. melissa came out of nowhere and knocked me backwards on my tailbone! YIKES! more than anything, i think it just scared me. my elbow pad had slipped down a bit, so i hit my butt and elbow on the floor pretty bad. i got back up and took a quick break and then i got back in there. i know i will be getting hit harder when i am in a bout, so i needed to just suck it up. surprisingly, i am not as sore as i thought i would be, but i am sore. it's a good sore. at the end of practice, we had to skate 20 laps in the opposite direction as a pack, staying in derby stance. wheeew! it was tiring, but rewarding. we did it in 5 mins and 8 seconds, which they said was good considering it was the opposite direction. WHOOP!

i also attended/worked my second bout. this time, i was in concessions all night. it was cool because all of girls worked really well together and the time went by super fast. we got to catch a bit of the second bout as we helped clean up the stands. it was exciting!!! after the bout, i went to see my mom for her birthday and mother's day. i ended up staying the night because i was so tired! oh, and she had given me a few drinks and i didn't think i should drive all the way back home...it's weird waking up at your parents' house after you haven't lived there in years...on the couch... with your contacts still on. my mom had hid my keys in the kitchen drawer! i had not planned on going anywhere, but she said she did it so that i would have to wake her up in the morning when i left to tell her i was leaving... moms. :)

this week, i will watch my friends take their assessment test. i will be rooting them on from the sides. it will also be good to watch and see what will be expected of me. i am excited for them to pass assessment, but also sad they may be leaving me soon! i hope they all pass and get drafted to teams though!

this is a silly video of me skating in the driveway and what happened when i tripped over a crack, haha



footage of the second bout

IMG_4187
some of us fresh meat girls after the bouts


IMG_4208

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly